Bangladesh is a country that’s unique in its culture and overall experience. The people are very welcoming to foreigners and embrace new people openly. Bangladesh offers more sights and experiences than one might first expect, from Mughal-era mosques to beautiful tea estates to observing magnificent tigers in mangrove forests.
The capital city Dhaka has the most energetic and friendly people you will ever meet. Taking a rickshaw ride through the bustling city will give you insights into the people and the energy of the place. A highly recommended tour to take is the Walking Tour in Dhaka. It is conducted by a group that wants to preserve Dhaka’s historic buildings and heritage sites. Here are some of the best places to visit in Bangladesh:
- Sundarbans mangrove forest: This is the largest mangrove forest on planet earth and is a UNESCO world heritage site. It is located between Bangladesh and India with the majority of the forest residing in Bangladesh territory. It is home to the last few Bengal tigers in the world as well as many more wild animals. The energy and environment of the forest is extremely calming and serene. It is definitely a place to visit once in your lifetime. Spending a few hours in this forest and observing nature in its purest and rawest form will be an amazing experience.
- Srimangal: This is the tea capital of Bangladesh and houses some of the most beautiful tea estates in the world. It is located in the north-eastern part of the country and is quite a sight to behold. This is a place that is quite empty and serene and you might find yourself in a large expanse of lush, green land with no one but yourself. We highly recommend cycling through the trails in the tea plantations. It can be one of the most rewarding experiences in life. A cool place to visit is the Lawachara National Park where you can trek to the Hamham waterfalls. This is a great way to spend a few days with nature and getting a break from digital devices.
- Chittagong Hill-Tracts: This is an area that is exquisitely beautiful with a lot of beautiful hills and is home to many tribal groups. This is a great place in Bangladesh for adventure travel. With the right permissions from local authorities, you can travel deep into the hills and see different tribal groups and see their lifestyle. The gorgeous Sangu river is located here and a boat ride in this river can be an amazing experience.
- Rangamti: This is a district close to the Chittagong Hill-tracts area. The main attraction at this place is the Kaptai Lake. It is a man-made lake that is surrounded by beautiful hills. It is indeed a beautiful sight to behold. A boat ride on this lake can be the highlight of the day. Rangamti is also home to many tribal groups and you can visit their handicraft market and purchase some high-quality handmade fabrics. Also, there is a Buddhist monastery called Rajban Bihara which is worth visiting.
- Paharpur: It is located in the north-western part of Bangladesh and is home to arguably one of the best UNESCO world heritage sites that Bangladesh has to offer- the Somapuri Mahabhihara. It is considered to be the second-largest Buddhist monastery south of the Himalayas in the 8th century. During its prime, monks from all over the world used to visit this monastery for higher education, among other things. It is considered one of the best Buddhist monasteries of its time.
So these have been our top 5 places to visit in Bangladesh to see sights and experience what the country has to offer. We wish you the best and travel safe.